- Main guest house (MGH) is building 10. Distance to the lecture halls is about 700 meters. It is easier and shorter to enter through the main gate and reach MGH. Ph: +91-80-2293-2311/2289.
- Centenary visitor’s home (CVH) is building 4. Distance to the lecture halls is about 2 kilometres. For CVH it would be easier to enter from the IISc gate next to Ramaiah hospital on New BEL road. Ph: +91-80-2293-3500.
- Hoysala house is building 68. Distance to the lecture halls is about 200 meters. It is easier and shorter to enter through the main gate and reach Hoysala. Ph: +91-80-2293-2535/2573.
- Hotel Krishington: On the map it is the black dashed circle just outside D-gate (left side of the map). Distance to the lecture halls is about 1.5 kilometres. Address: Hotel Krishinton, 993, Near IISc D- Gate, M.S. Ramaiah Main Road, Mathikere, Gokul Extension, Divanarapalya, Yeshwanthpur, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560054. Ph: +91-80-4259-5959. Speakers staying here will be picked up from the airport.
- The IAS guest house is at Jalahalli which is about 8 km. from the campus. Address: Indian Academy of Sciences, (next to ISRO Housing Colony near HMT School), Jalahalli West, Bangalore. Ph: +91-80-80-28381934. Participants staying here will have to get there on their own. But transportation will be arranged to and from the IISc campus on all days of the conference
- The NCBS hostel Mandara is also far from the campus. Address: Mandara Hostel, NCBS Housing Complex, 6th B Main Road, 3rd Stage, Chikka Bommasandra, Behind Yelahanka New Town Bus stand, Saradha Nagar, Someshwar Nagar, Yelahanka Satellite Town, Bangalore, Karnataka 560064, Ph: +91-80-2366-6002. Participants staying here will have to get there on their own. But transportation will be arranged to and from the IISc campus on all days of the essay writer at essayonlinewriter.com conference. It is also possible to use the NCBS shuttle that runs from IISc campus to Mandara. But this may have limited capacity.
Other Places on IISc Campus (please see the IISC campus map again)
- Prakruti restaurant: Building 78
- Nisarga restaurant: Blue dashed square. Can be reached by the road (not shown on ramp) continuing from 21 to 80 and beyond or by walking around building 5 (Biological sciences). But there is no walking path from 9 to here.
- Kabini canteen: Between 22 and 34.
- Mathematics department: Building 26
- Tata book house: Building 78
Restaurants Near the IISc Campus
There are 8 gates shown in the IISc Campus map.
Outside CVH gate (northeast corner) there are many restaurants. Some reasonable ones (on New BEL road or 80 ft road) are Hunan (Chinese and Thai), Truffles (Continental), Chung Wah (Chinese), The Heat Mexican Cafe & Grill (Mexican), Freskka (Italian), Have More (North Indian), Aunty Fung’s (Asian), Durban Restaurant (Persian), Neel restaurant (North Indian), The egg factory.
- From Maramma gate (southern tip) one can walk to Malleshwaram, a residential area with many restaurants. Some good ones are Adigas (South Indian veg), Asha Food Camp (South Indian veg), Halli Mane (Karnataka veg), CTR (central tiffin rooms), New Krishna Bhavan (Karnataka veg), Rasa restaurant (coastal Karnataka cuisine). Some of these places are small eateries. For more homely food served on a plantain leaf, go to Iyer’s mess (South Indian, there is another one on Margosa road and 16th cross).
- Mantri mall in Malleshwaram and Orion mall in Yeshwanthpur are two large malls that have several food places of various cuisines.
- Near the exit from IISc through NIAS gate, there are several food places, (serving North Indian, South Indian, Bengali, Kerala cuisines) for cheap. Apart from these one can look for Holigemane and several Darshanis (like Sri Sagar, Shanti Sagar, ), they serve local vegetarian cuisine while mostly standing and eating places. For more homely food, there are various messes such as Gupta ji’s mess (North Indian).
- Far from campus, on Church street near MG road there are innumerable fancy restaurants.
Transport from/to the new Kempegowda International (KIA) Airport
How to reach IISc Campus:
Local name for IISc is ‘Tata Institute’. Always use ‘Tata Institute’ with the taxi, auto drivers, and bus conductors. IISc is about 35 km from the new Kempegowda International Airport (KIA) (both domestic and International). Information on the airport can be found at its official website: (http://www.bengaluruairport.com/). You can take pre-paid taxi or air-port taxis from the airport to IISc campus.
All phone numbers have an area code +91-80 (for landline) and +91 for mobile. Airport helpline can be reached at 4058-1111. Flight enquiry can be reached at 1-800-425-4425.
Phone Numbers of various Taxi Service Providers in Bangalore:
- AirLift : 4052-8888
- CelCabs: 6060-9090
- SGL Tours and Travels: 4299-4399
- Meru: 4422-4422
- EasyCab: 4343-4343
( Approximate Fare: Rs 15/km with waiting charge of Rs 60 per hour)
You need to pay at the end of the journey based on the metered charge. Credit card payment with printed receipt facility is usually available (better to check before getting in the car).
Phone Numbers of Car Rental Service Providers:
- Akbar Travels: 1-800-226-000
- Hertz: 99725-02292
(Fare: indicative rate upto 25 km is Rs 1,200)
Airport Shuttle Service
Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation (BMTC) plans to run buses from various points of the city every 15 minutes to the Bangalore International Airport (BiAL). Contact details,
- BMTC Control Room: Telephone No: 2295 2522 / 2295 2422
- BMTC, Kempegowda Bus Stand: Telephone No: 2295 2311 / 2295 2314
- BMTC, Shivajinagar Bus Stand: Telephone No: 2295 2321 / 2295 2324
A Few highlights:
- Vajra buses will be alternated with non-AC Suvarna buses – to and from the airport.
- BMTC runs a total of 156 buses, of which 40 are Volvo.
- Pickup/drop off points will be from all key locations of the city.
- Vajra services are provided with space for passenger’s luggage
The buses will have public address system, LCD panel showing real-time route information such as en-route pick up points, distance, travel time apart from entertainment videos, internet connectivity, mobile charger, newspapers and helper facility for luggage handling.
|BMTC routes to KIA|
|ORIGIN||DURATION||STOPS||No. OF BUSES||FREQUENCY||APPROX. FARE|
|Mysore Road Satellite Bus Station||1hr 50mins||5||18||15mins||Rs 220|
|JB Nagar||1hr 50mins||8||18||15mins||Rs 230|
|HAL airport||2 hrs||10||18||15mins||Rs 230|
|JP nagar 6th Phase||2 hrs||11||20||15mins||Rs 220|
|Whitefield Post Office||2 hrs||6||20||10 mins||Rs 220|
|Koramangala||2 hrs 10 mins||15||20||15mins||Rs 220|
|Electronic City||2 hrs 45 mins||10||26||15mins||Rs 300|
|Kempegowda Bus Station||1 hrs 15 mins||5||16||15mins||Rs 210|
Tickets on BMTC bus routes can also be looked by logging on to www.viaworld.in or calling 41431000.
Reaching IISc From the Main Railway Station:
The main railway station in Bangalore is called Bangalore City which is about 7 km from IISc. The railway station and the main bus stand (called as Majestic and Kempegowda Bus station) are opposite to each other. Pre-paid autorickshaw facility is available at the Bangalore City Railway Station. You could tell the counterperson that you are travelling to Tata Institute. A trip to IISc may cost about Rs. 55. Travel by autorickshaws between 10:00 p.m. and 06:00 a.m. will cost 50% more. You can also use the bus services from the Majestic bus station: Bus Route nos. 252 E, 258 C, 271 E, 273 C, 275, 276, 99 A and B. Alight at TATA INSTITUTE Bus Stop.
Reaching IISc From the Cantontment Railway Station:
Another important railway station in Bangalore is Cantontment Railway Station, also known as Bangalore Cantt. The distance from this station to IISc is almost same as the Bangalore City railway station and it also has prepaid autorickshaw facility. You can also use the bus services from the bus stop just opposite to the station. Route Nos. 94 A and E, 252 A, 270 A, 272, 276 A.
Reaching IISc From the Yeshwantpur Railway Station:
Yeshwantpur is a small railway station, located within Bangalore, but it is NOT the main railway station of Bangalore. One good thing about Yeshwantpur is that it is very close to IISc, but very few trains stop here. The autorickshaw ride from Yeshwantpur to IISc will cost around Rs. 25. No prepaid autorickshaw facility available here.
Getting around Bangalore
Auto-rickshaws are a convenient mode of transport as they are easily available. Most of the drivers are affable and honest and are multilingual. Apart from the local language most of the drivers are conversant in Hindi, and English. The fare charges are Rs 13.00 per km with a minimum fare of Rs 25.00 for three passengers. When operated out of city limits and between 2200 and 0500 hours, the autos charge one and a half times the normal meter reading. Wherever possible, use of pre-paid auto service is recommended.
Visiting places in and around Bangalore: Most places in and around Bangalore are easily accessible from IISc and the cost of travel is most reasonable. Bangalore has it all, so take your time and enchant yourself. Places like Lalbagh Botanical Gardens, Vidhana Soudha, Cubbon Park and Museums, Bull Temple and Tipu Sultan Palace are all worth visiting. So are the central shopping locations of Brigade Road, M. G. Road and Commercial Street.
- IISc Campus map
- Find local places in and around Bangalore, view maps and get driving directions in Google Maps
- Karnataka State Tourism Development Corporation: Contacts
- Rail Tour Packages: You may plan your visit to other cities in India and book e-ticket (Courtesy: Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation). The Rail tour packages offer selection on attractive theme categories, such as: Adventure, Spiritual, Wildlife, Heritage, Hills etc.
If you are interested in Indian classical music, there are many concerts that take place in Malleshwara neighbourhood. There does not appear to be a single place where one can find upcoming events. Search on google. For instance, Chowdaiah memorial hall holds many regularly. A nice theatre to go for plays is Rangashankara (in the current schedule, on 16-18 there appears to be an interesting play). Click here to get more information about purchasing essay online.
- Weather of Bangalore in December can be found here.